Stacey C. Kalamaras, Esq.
Founder & Owner
Kalamaras Law Office, LLC
What she does
- Intellectual property law, specifically, trademarks and copyrights, and related agreements
- Advertising law
- Primary responsibility for managing trademark portfolios in excess of 4000 applied-for and registered marks in more than 120 different countries worldwide.
- Liaised with foreign counsel on the management of global trademark portfolio in 50-120 countries.
- Drafted complaint in Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Proceeding (UDRP) for one of the world’s largest financial institutions resulting in a successful transfer of an infringing domain name from a cyber squatter to the bank.
- Defended telecommunications company in trademark cancellation at Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) proceeding and settled matter without running up substantial legal bill and most importantly, protecting the telecom company’s registered trademark.
- Successfully drafted Motion for Summary Judgment before the TTAB resulting in successful opposition for railway client.
- Led due diligence review for intellectual property portfolio acquisition worth $350 million.
- Experience in diverse industries: food and beverage, financial services, beer and spirits, dietary supplements, automotive supplies and equipment, small appliances/tools, clothing, golfing equipment, retail services, telecommunications, and hospitality.
Presentations, Publications, Activities
- Presenter, "How to Be an Effective Trademark Practitioner Before the USPTO," Lawline, October 2019
- Author, The Intellectual Property Strategist, "The Madrid System Turns 30: The Pros and Cons of Using the Madrid Protocol in the United States and for U.S. Based Companies," October, 2019
- Presenter, "How to Be an Effective Trademark Practitioner Before the USPTO," Iowa Intellectual Property Law Association, October 2019
- Panelist, "How to Effectively Respond to Third-Party IP Infringement Through Online Platforms," ABA, September 2019
- Co-presenter, “Everything You Need to Know About Intellectual Property," Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce, May 2019
- Co-presenter, "How to Name Your Brand and Make it Trademarkable," Chicagoland Chamber of Commerce, May 2019
- Presenter, "Intellectual Property Tips for Enterpreners," Barrington Public Library, April 2019
- Co-presenter, “Everything You Need to Know About Intellectual Property," Small Business Administration, April 2019
- Co-presenter, "How to Name Your Brand and Make it Trademarkable," Small Business Administration, March 2019
- CLE Presenter, "IP Primer for Corporate Attorneys," Chicago area law firm, February 2019
- CLE Presenter, "IP Primer: Understanding Trademarks, Copyrights, and Rights of Publicity," NW Suburban Bar Assn, November 2018
- CLE Presenter, "IP Primer for Corporate Attorneys," Chicago area law firm, November 2019
- CLE Co-presenter, “Protecting Your Brand Against Counterfeiters," Lawline, October 2018
- CLE Presenter, "How to Structure a Trademark Opinion Letter and Assess Risk," Lawline, October 2018
- Co-Presenter, “Protecting Your Brand Against Counterfeiters," ASIPI webinar, October 2018
- Presenter, “5 Tips Every Small Business Owner Should Know About IP Law,” Small Business Advocacy Council, June 2018
- CLE Presenter, “Counterfeit Goods: The World’s Largest Illegitimate Industry,” Small Business Advocacy Council, April 2018
- Presenter, “IP Tips for Success,” DePaul University Coleman Center for Entrepreneurship, March 2018
- Author, The Intellectual Property Strategist, "Federal Circuit Holds Scandalous or Immoral Marks Entitled to Registration," Feb 2018
- Member, Editorial Board, The Trademark Reporter, INTA, January 2008 – December 2009
- Panelist, “Advising Emerging International Clients,” Chicago Bar Association, November 2005
- Member, Small Business Advocacy Council, 2018
- Member and Group Leader, ProVisors, 2018 – 2019
- Member, International Trademark Association
- Member, American Bar Association
Where she went to school
- Juris Doctor, cum laude, The John Marshall Law School, Chicago, Illinois
- Masters in Business Administration, Marketing, DePaul University, Chicago, Illinois
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont
Where she’s admitted to practice law
- District of Columbia
Other interesting factoids
- Stacey may not be a regular at Fashion Week, but she can advise you on the latest trademark decisions involving Christian Louboutin®, Louis Vuitton®, and other luxury brands.
- Despite Stacey’s severe sensitivity to caffeine, that does not stop her from knowing the ins and outs of the Trademark Office’s recent decision holding coffee goods to be related to restaurant and hotel services.
- Fallen sports heros are in the news every week it seems. Although Stacey’s 1980s best girls’ water skier trophy does not necessarily qualify her to counsel you on your sports rights and intellectual property question, her substantive knowledge of the interplay of rights of publicity, trademarks and copyrights, and the first amendment probably do.
Please complete the form below or call 708-320-2033 to request a free consultation. All fields are required.